Button Battery Safety Tips

  • Keep button batteries and their devices out of the sight and reach of small children
  • Never leave button batteries unattended or battery compartments exposed
  • Always keep child safety in mind when you are changing button batteries
  • Examine devices to make sure that the battery compartment is securely closed
  • Safely dispose of used button batteries immediately, using a secure container
  • Warning – even flat button batteries can be dangerous if they are swallowed by children
  • If you suspect a child has swallowed a button battery, immediately call 000 (for Australia)
  • Take the child to a hospital emergency room URGENTLY. Do not let the child eat or drink anything. Do not induce vomiting
  • For further advice call the Poisons Information Centre (for Australia) on 13 11 26 or the relevant number in your country
  • Inform other families about the risks to small children associated with button batteries and how to keep their children safe